Re: LibWWW

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 10:47:40 -0400
To: "Roger B. Sidje" <rbs@maths.uq.edu.au>
Cc: www-lib@w3.org
At 03:48 5/25/98 +1000, Roger B. Sidje wrote:

>I have downloaded the lib today and tried to install it on this
>end, mainly in view of using w3c from within a perl CGI script
>via my netscape.
>
>For security purpose, the installation of our server is such
>that the web area, where we put our documents and CGI-scripts,
>is isolated from the other areas through a "chroot" mechanism.
>Hence, e.g., when a CGI-script is executed, its absolute path
>must be with respect to the "chroot path" and if there is a
>security leak, it will affect only the web area. The system
>admin says the mechanism is worthwhile. However, for us, users,
>it is quite tricky to install CGI scripts that must be compiled
>in our normal area and therefore with  paths in that area.

If the executable is several MBytes then it is a static linked binary which
can be run every where. If it is in the order of 100-500K then it is using
shared libraries. You can control this using the configure script: use the

	--disable-shared

flag when you run the configure script. That should generate static files
only.

Hope this helps,

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk