Compression

From: James Gallagher <jimg@dcz.cvo.oneworld.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 11:27:21 PST
To: www-lib@w3.org
Hello,

I am interested in getting a subclass of HTStream that can decompress
information compressed with gzip. Has anyone worked on this? Since my
application has control over both the servers and clients, I don't need a
solution that will work for the entire web - i.e., I can use code that
requires modification of both the clients and servers.

I read about the W3C's use of zlib in testing compressed data (for their
evaluation of HTTP/1.1). Barring use of existing code, can someone point me
towards the `best' software on which to base my subclass?

W3C: It seems that this software would be generally useful; if I work on it
would you like to include it in the library?

James Gallagher

James Gallagher		         The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@gso.uri.edu                            http://dods.gso.uri.edu/