download a document to local disk under windows with the W3LIB

From: <zeibig@iis340.inf.tu-dresden.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:44:40 -0100
To: www-lib@w3.org
Cc: kahlisch@inf.tu-dresden.de
Hi,

I have compiled the W3LIB for Windows 3.1 with Borlands C++ 4.5 - compiler
as a set of
DLL's in a project according to the Microsoft Visual-C W3LIB makefile for
windows both
as a 16-bit-version and a 32-bit-version with the following precompilers:

16-bit-version
_WINDOWS; WWW_WIN_DLL; _DEBUG; HAVE_STRERROR; STDC_HEADERS;

32-bit-versiom
_WINDOWS; _DEBUG; WWW_WIN_ASYNC; WWW_WIN_DLL; HAVE_STRERROR;
STDC_HEADERS;

With the 16-bit-version I tried the simple example libapp_4.c of the library
as a
easy-win-application. It is not possible to download a document to local disc.
The library breaks downloading the document with a "target error".

With the 32-bit-version I compiled the LineMode-Browser in a project
according to the
given makefile for windows.
This application works but it is not possible to download a document to
local disc to.
I found the lines downloading to local disc in the source switched out with the
precompiler switch WWW_WIN_WINDOW.

I have got three questions.
- What is the reason for why it seems to be impossible to download a
document to local
disc under windows with the W3LIB.
- What can be done to make it possible.
- Has anybody a working 16-bit - DLL or set of DLL's for the W3LIB available
which can
download a document to local disc.

With kind regards
Bernd Zeibig