libwww 5.0 released to W3C members

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:44:39 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org

Version 5.0 of libwww is now available to W3C members. It will become publicly available October 10, 1996. In the mean time you can get it from

	http://www.w3.org/member/WWW/Library/

This release was originally called 4.1 but because we now have a complete HTTP/1.1 client side implementation including a persistent cache manager and full support for uploading documents, we decided to call it version 5.0 instead.

The focus for version 5.0 of the W3C Reference Library is to provide a set of higher level, application specific APIs for accessing the Web. The Library contains a significantly improved interface for easy access to the Web through a large set of functions specialized to perform certain Web operations like PUT, POST, DELETE, GET and HEAD. The Library also includes a set of profiles that helps the application, a Web client for example, to more easily use the full potential of the application independent Library core.

It supports HTTP/1.1 including persistent connections, two-way PUT, the host header and many other features. This release contains a TCL add-on to the Robot example application and a beta version of a Deja GNU Test suite for the Library. There is also a sample PEP implementation, that although incomplete can give an idea of where we're headed using PEP.

Major new features:

	- Full HTTP/1.1 reference implementation
	- Persistent cache manager
	- Full support for PUT and POST
	- Application profiles for easier setup
	- Many new access methods for using libwww
	- Simple Tcl interface
	- Configuration based on autoconf

A complete set of release notes is available from

	http://www.w3.org/member/WWW/Library/User/ReleaseNotes.html

The release has been tested on Digital Unix, Solaris, Linux, and Windows NT.

Comments are welcome!

Henrik, Eric, Manoli, Alex, and Xing

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356