New beta versions of libwww 4.1 available [WAS Beta 3 configure script problem]

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:13:59 -0400
To: msa@hemuli.tte.vtt.fi (Markku Savela)
cc: www-lib@w3.org
Markku Savela writes:

> I would like to make a suggestion:
> If a release has been available and unknown number of people have
> retrieved it, then if you make *any* change, however small, bump the
> version number, *every* time!

I actually have an explanation for why this happended but it's rather long
and not that interesting. Therefore, I think that it's more interesting to
announce that there now is a 4.1b3a version available from our website and
our FTP server. It has a single fix in the aclocal.m4 script file which
caused "test" to fail on some platforms.

4.1 beta 3 publicly available

Libwww 4.1b3a has been available to W3C members for exactly one month and is
now publicly available from

The release notes can be found at

4.1 beta 4 available for W3C members

At the same time, we have released a 4.1b4a version for W3C members. This
version has some new features compared to the beta 3 version - especially
regarding handling persistent connection including automatic connection
recovery in case of the other end dropping the connection.

The member release is available from

and the release notes are available from

Beta 4 contains all the functionality that is to be included in the final
4.1 release, so please try it out now. Of course, the beta 4 version will
become publicly available September 20 - one month after it's release date
to members.

Have fun,