Re: Cheers for Raw HTTP solutions

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:49:23 -0400
To: Sacha Varma <sv3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
cc: www-lib@w3.org
Sacha Varma writes:
> Thanks to everyone who mailed in telling me how to get some raw HTTP replies.
> (The answer was to use telnet to connect to the host, port 80, and then just
> type in the request).

Yes, but that can't be automated and you have no timeouts etc. etc.
Therefore, a better solution is to use the command line tool or the line
mode browser. Using the first, it would look like

	w3c -n -source http://www.w3.org

and the latter

	www -n -raw http://www.w3.org

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356