Re: Can't build library!

From: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:57:12 PDT
To: www-lib@w3.org, janssen@parc.xerox.com, wplatzer@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at (Wolfgang Platzer)
Excerpts from mail: 4-Aug-96 Re: Can't build library! Wolfgang
Platzer@iaik.tu (1072*)

> > My impression is that one of the consequences using autoconf is that
> you also
> must use the GNU make. The Sun make and almost all other native makes that I
> have seen do not understand the configure script.

The configure script that autoconf uses to probe your machine is quite
plain vanilla /bin/sh, though individual autoconf script writers may of
course have erred by putting non-portable constructs in their scripts.
I'd suspect the trouble is with the Makefile.in files supplied along
with the autoconf script, which may use non-standard make constructs.
This gets turned into the Makefile by the configure script, so the
Makefile may then contain non-portable make constructs.

Bill