Re: WWWLib 3.1 & blocking I/O

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:32:04 -0400
To: msfriedm@us.oracle.com
Cc: mitch@tam.net, www-lib@w3.org
> Mitch DeShields writes:
>  >
>  > I'm using the WWWLib 3.1 in a Windows environment.  I'd like to use the
>  > asynchronous winsock.  ...
>  >
>  > I find that the call to connect() in HTDoConnect() returns WSAWOULDBLOCK.
>  >
>  > Does my message handler need to do anything (line call LoadHTTP() again to
>  > get back into the state machine)?
>
> Assuming that WWWLib 3.1 work the same way as 3.0, you just need to
> re-call whatever lib call you originally made (i.e. LoadHTTP) that
> returned WSAWOULDBLOCK.

Version 3.1 does work the same way - it's basically based on call back
functions. What might be a bit confusing is that 3.1 is a mix between the
original version of call back functions and the one provided by Charlie Brooks
for extending it to work on NT. I have now cleaned this up and it will get out
in the next version so it hopefully is a lot easier to find out.

> The way the non-blocking IO mechanism works is for the load functions
> to return either when they complete their operation, when they would
> block waiting for input or when they get an error.

Yep :-)