Re: Proxy server not loading Images

From: Reinier Post <reinpost@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 14:19:13 +0200 (MET DST)
To: JCMA@ai.mit.edu (John C. Mallery)
Cc: twtsu1@mda011.cc.monash.edu.au, www-lib@www10.w3.org, www-proxy@www10.w3.org
You (John C. Mallery) write:

>At 11:47 PM 7/16/95, Mr TWY Tsui wrote:

[...]

>>The proxy server is running fine, except for some images,
>>it stop loading half way, thus I only have half of the image.
>>
>>Has anyone encountered this problem ?

[...]

>>Can someone clearify what has to be done for the proxy server
>>when the client interrupted half way during a request ?
>
>Sorry, but I'm interested if there is more than just a coincidental
>bug in both our programs.

In my proxy server, this bug was fixed in version 0.18.  See

  http://www.win.tue.nl/lagoon/
  ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/infosystems/www/lagoon-0.23.tar.gz

It's a CGI script (slower, but relatively portable), tested with several
HTTP servers and Unix platforms.  Written in C, based on NCSA httpd.

I set up an interrupt handler and clean out the cache upon receiving one.
I also set up and catch a timeout, for the client may lose connection
without the CGI script noticing.  At least that's what I experienced at the
time.

Filename locking was implemented at the same time; it's another obvious
source for corrupted cache files.

Quite easy, really.  My source code may not be a wonder of clarity;
please ask if you have any problems figuring out how it works.

--
Reinier Post						 reinpost@win.tue.nl
a.k.a. <A HREF="http://www.win.tue.nl/win/cs/is/reinpost/">me</A>