Re: CERN LIBRARY OF COMMON CODE 3.0pre1 AVAILABLE

From:	DXMINT::"connolly@hal.com"   26-NOV-1994 19:29:41.93

>or use Imake, but I think configure is better.

Funily enough Fred has done the work to get configure going. Theonly reason this
was not sent out in the distribution is that there were already a lot of
changes.

>Prescribing that folks use this WWW/Library/Implementation directory
>structure may interfere with integrating the www-lib into other projects.
>I know it has interfered with several of mine.

Putting the different executables for different platforms into separate
directories is absolutely essential. We use AFS to mount the same file structure
onto all the platforms.

>2. Generate the HTML documentation from the C source, rather than
>the other way around. I expect that by now you know as well as I
>do how many hassles this would alleviate.

Absolutely.

>I went surfing for a tool to do this and didn't see anything
>immediately applicable. But I'm sure a quick perl hack would
>do -- or even sed, for maximum portability.

Absolutely not. Sed is only portable to UNIX platforms. Sed is never,
never the solution unless the problem is how to waste time. The problem
with a Perl hack is that no tool that does not completely parse the C
source properly is acceptable. Otherwise I have a set of perfectly good AWK
scripts.

Phill H-B