Re: LIBWWW SURVEY

jose.kahan@w3.org wrote:

> =====================================
>              LIBWWW SURVEY
> =====================================
>
> Opens: September 22, 2000
> Ends:  October 6, 2000
> Goal:  Get a clear idea of what the libwww user community would like to
>        do with libwww
> Means: Mail your responses to this form to www-lib-survey@w3.org

> [1.0] Who are you and how do you use libwww
>         I tried using libwww for a http and https performance measurement test
> for establishing a baseline

> [1.1] Do you develop or have developed applications that use libwww
>
> [* ] Yes
>

> If you didn't answer yes to [1.1], go to section 2.
>
> [1.2] What kind of application (you may cite the name too, if you want)

         a performance measurement system

> [1.2] On which platform and environment (mark all that apply)
>
> [  ] X-Windows
> [*] Unix (includes Linux, Solaris, ...)
> [*] Win32
> [  ] GTK
> [  ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.3] Which language(s) did you use
>
> [*] C
> [*] C++
> [  ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.4] How do you rate your programming skills
>
> [* ] Experience programmer
> [  ] Average programmer
> [  ] Beginner
>
> [1.5] What parts of libww do you use
>
> [  ] XML parser
> [  ] RDF parser
> [*] HTML parser
> [*] HTTP
> [  ] FTP
> [  ] News
> [  ] Telnet
> [  ] Gopher
> [*] SSL
> [  ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.6] What applications of libwww do you use
>
> [* ] Examples
> [ ] Robot
> [ ] LineMode parser
> [ ] Command line parser
> [ ] WinCommander
>
> [1.7] What modifications do you make to the code before you use it?

           Not much

> [1.8] If you have any tests for libwww code, what parts of libwww
>       do you test and are you willing to contribute the tests to
>       the W3C?

> [1.9] Anything else you'd like to say

> [2.0] Your opinion of libwww
>
> [2.1] In your opinion, libwww is (check all that apply):
>
> [* ] useful to write sample code
> [*] useful for learning how to program a WWW application
> [ ] useful to write production code
> [ ] Other: please cite
>
> [2.2] Do you find it useful that libwww is written in C
>
> [ ] Yes
> [ *] No
>
> [2.3] Please explain your previous answer

        I feel that  OOP programming approach would have better suited the
current architecture

> [2.4] Do you feel that libwww too big?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [* ] No
>
> [2.5] If so, which parts would you like to remove, or move to other libraries
>
> [2.6] What are the things that you like the most of libwww

           its architecture and how it handles various application protocols

> [2.7] What are the things that you dislike the most of libwww

           memory management in libwww is not good.This actually prevents it from
using  libwww in a
          production system Especially when you run the library continuously
          as in my performance test , involve access to previously freed memory.
Even the sequence
          used in HTLibTerminate() is not safe

> [2.8] What are the things that you would like to change in libwww

           Memory management

> [2.9] What are the things you think that libwww are missing
>
> [2.10] Anything else you'd like to say

> Section 3: The future

> [3.1] Let's continue with libwww
>
> [3.1.1] Do you think it's worth it to have a WWW library?
>
> [* ] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.1.2] Do you know of any other similar libraries (please give a URL to
>         the project if possible)
>
> [3.1.2] Do you think it's worth it to invest time continuing enhancing
>         libwww and its architecture.
>
> [ ] Yes
> [ ] No ,Not sure
>
> [3.1.3] Are you interested in joining the core team of such a project
>         (enhancing libwww)?
>
> [] Yes
> [* ] No
>
> [3.1.4]  If you are willing to write some new documentation or improve
>          existing documentation, which topics are you willing to document?
>
> [3.1.5] Anything else you'd like to say

> [3.4] Let's invest our forces enhancing an existing project
>
> [3.4.1] Do you think it's better to enhance another existing project (i.e.,
>         merge our efforts)
>
> [3.4.2] Are you interested in joining the core team of such a project
>         (enhancing an existing project)?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [ *] No
>
> [3.4.3] Anything else you'd like to say

> [3.5] Let's write it again
>
> [3.5.1] Do you think the project should stop and start again from a clean
>         slate?
>
> [ *] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.5.2] Which language would you use and why (please take into account
>         portability among systems)?

          C++, best suited for the existing architecture