Re: Client Authorization Request & More General Mechanisms

Paul Pazandak writes:
 > I understand how this will process a request once the cookies are
 > set (that's nice!), but it doesn't explain if/how one can ask the user
 > for information after they have requested a document and before
 > they have received it.  Just to be clear in my mind, this is what I
 > want to achieve:
 >
 > 1) User makes a request for some document myDoc.html
 >      (nothing is embedded in myDoc.html to drive this, it is an
 > "ordinary, simple"
 >       html file).
 > 2) The server responds with a UI prompt asking for more information
 > 3) The client responds
 > 4) The server may ask for additional information, the client responds
 > again
 > 5) The server returns some resource.
 >
 > So, are you saying that the mechanism to implement steps 2-4 above
 > is via SSI/Cookies?

Yes, maybe your filter could check for a cookie, if non is set
(meaning steps 2 & 3 haven't occured yet) redirect to a form which
fills-in the cookie, and which redirect back (may be using the referer
header field) to the initial page. Kind of a hack...

 > BTW, is an html parser available to extract/locate parts of a document?
 > E.g.
 > say I want insert something in the body of an html resource, I can write
 > code
 > to search for "<body>", but as there are variations in syntax it's not
 > this
 > straightforward... a parser would help.

Arthur van Hoff parser's has been available for a while, you may be
able to locate it...

Anselm.