Re: Client Authorization Request & More General Mechanisms

Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:

> Paul Pazandak writes:
>  > The filters now available include:    AccessLimitFilter
>  >     CacheFilter
>  >     CounterFilter
>  >     DebugFilter
>  >     ErrorFilter
>  >     GZIPFilter
>  >     ProcessFilter
>  >     PutFilter
>  >     PutListResource
>  >     PutSizeFilter
>  >     PutedEntry
>  >     SimpleCacheFilter
>  >
>  > ...by descriptions in the docs, none would _appear_ to do this.  If
>
>  > possible I would be interested in seeing this example if you could
>  > make it available.
>
> Correct I guess I throw that code away, but I am pretty sure you can
> find it in that mailing list archive (lists.w3.org).

I'll look, thanks.(Ref: it is:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-jigsaw/msg05334.html)

>  > BTW, what generates the client-side authorization dialog?
>
> The idea is to have a form to "configure" the cookie, and then use
> extneded server side include commands to exploit the values from that
> cookie, the shtml file looks like:

> Anselm.

I understand how this will process a request once the cookies are
set (that's nice!), but it doesn't explain if/how one can ask the user
for information after they have requested a document and before
they have received it.  Just to be clear in my mind, this is what I
want to achieve:

1) User makes a request for some document myDoc.html
     (nothing is embedded in myDoc.html to drive this, it is an
"ordinary, simple"
      html file).
2) The server responds with a UI prompt asking for more information
3) The client responds
4) The server may ask for additional information, the client responds
again
5) The server returns some resource.

So, are you saying that the mechanism to implement steps 2-4 above
is via SSI/Cookies?

My intent is to write a new FileResource or resource filter that can
be applied to _any_ document to implement the mechanisms above (and
therefore shouldn't require embedding SSIs in the document).

Kind Regards,

Paul.

BTW, is an html parser available to extract/locate parts of a document?
E.g.
say I want insert something in the body of an html resource, I can write
code
to search for "<body>", but as there are variations in syntax it's not
this
straightforward... a parser would help.

Paul Pazandak                                      pazandak@objs.com
Object Services and Consulting, Inc.             http://www.objs.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-5409                       612-881-6498