Troubles with proxy & root.

I ran into two troubles today.
Number one:
I attempted the following (naive!) sequence:

I had a threadstat attribute of root, called
ThreadStat
Since the ThreadStat wanted to be called "threads"
I modified the properties name field for this object.
Then I went back to the root menu and selected "root"
and "update" -- this usually works on directory resource
objects to refresh the names of the objects -- I hoped.

The result (and this happened before for some similar problem)
is that the entire Admin/Editor (http://xxx:8001/Admin)
structure is destroyed, even after reboot.  I get the following
error message:

Invalid URL
  The URL http://athos.rutgers.edu:8001/Admin/Editor
that you requested is not available on that server.

Is this a recoverable problem?  (can I recover my original
configuration without starting from scratch?)

Number two:
All this started when the Jigsaw proxy started sending broken copies of
some (previously cached) documents.  For some addresses, I was
getting "document contains no data" errors.  I tried setting the
cache size to 0,  and deleting all cache files--to no avail.
(This problem did go away on reboot.)

The same files remained  broken.  Is there a preferred way to
flush the cache?

Thanks,

Peter McIlroy