Re: Trouble creating directory templates

> Amy Fong wrote:
>
> > Everytime I try to do a "Add directory" in directory templates,
> > it always replies with "Document contains no data" and in the errlog,
> > I keep getting:
> >
> > client-1: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] null
> >
> > And it never gets added. Any ideas?
>
> I have exactly the same problem and don't know how to solve it.
> Everything works just fine in Jigsaw version 1.0alpha3, but in 1.0alpha5
> the described problem arises. I have tried with different versions of JDK,
> but without luck. This is obviously a problem that would have been
> discovered by the Jigsaw team, in case it were a bug. It must be me
> who is doing something wrong. Nevertheless I sent a "bug report" to
> jigsaw@w3.org last week. After joining the mailing list I feel that
> this list might be a better place to drop my report. Here it is:
>

> Dear Jigsaw developers
>
> I have successfully installed and started Jigsaw 1.0alpha5. I go to
> /Admin/Directories, get the desired form called "Defined directories" and
> see that User and WWW are already defined. I now want to add a new template,
> therefore I click on link "Add directory" and correctly get the form called
> "Add a new directory." I fill in "Name:" with "TestDir" and "Class:" with
> "w3c.jigsaw.resources.DirectoryResource". Finally I push the OK button.
>
> The following happens: In the browser window a blank page appears, and a
> pop-up window says "Document contains no data". Meanwhile the shell windows
> from which Jigsaw was started emits (Jigsaw tracing has been turned on) the
> following error messages:
>
> POST /Admin/Directories/Add+directory HTTP/1.0
> Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
> Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:32:42 GMT
>
> +++ client-33 got exception:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.indexer.Directory.initialize(Directory.java)
>         at w3c.tools.store.AttributeHolder.initialize(AttributeHolder.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.indexer.Directory.makeDirectory(Directory.java)
>         at
> w3c.jigsaw.indexer.DirectoriesAddHandler.notifyEndProcessing(DirectoriesEditor.j
> ava)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.forms.FormCardResource.handle(FormCardResource.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.forms.PostableResource.post(PostableResource.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.resources.HTTPResource.dispatch(HTTPResource.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.resources.HTTPResource.perform(HTTPResource.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.perform(httpd.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.processRequest(Client.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.startConnection(Client.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.socket.SocketClient.run(SocketClient.java)
>         at w3c.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadCache.java)
> w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.startConnection(Client.java)
>         at w3c.jigsaw.http.socket.SocketClient.run(SocketClient.java)
>         at w3c.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadCache.java)
> [...]
I had the same Problem, and I tracked it down to w3c.jigsaw.indexer.Directory,
line 89:
	defs.put("resource-store", getResourceStore());

It seems that getResourceStore() returns null, when a template is beeing
created. Hashtables don't accept null-values.
Changing that line to
        ResourceStore s=getResourceStore();
        if(s!=null) defs.put("resource-store", s);

seemed to help, but I am pretty shure that this is not a proper solution (it
could be dangerous). Im am not an expert in jigsaw programming, perhaps
somebody could use this as a hint for further debugging.

Regards,
Martin Wille