Jigsaw and Jeeves (fwd)

Forwarded message:
> From www-jigsaw-request@w3.org Tue Apr 15 05:54:01 1997
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 05:48:42 cst
> From: "Bill Woods" <bwoods@ccsmtp.memc.com>
> To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
> Subject: Jigsaw and Jeeves
> Sender: www-jigsaw-request@w3.org
>

>      Anslem,
>
>      I don't know if this has been asked before but how would you compare
>      Jigsaw and Jeeves (Suns Java based web server)?

I was at JavaOne and got a pretty obnoxious answer from some marketing guy
about how much faster Jeeves is than Jigsaw. I think it's worth pointing out
while we're on the subject that www.javasoft.com is running Apache -- which
is a vote of no confidence for the performance estimates they gave at
JavaOne.

There is no comparison, in NCSA's opinion, between Jigsaw and Jeeves because
the source code for Jeeves is not available and nothing except the servlet
API is public. The servlet API is too small a sandbox for the kind of
development we're doing.

--
Joe Futrelle
HTTP Server Development, Joule/Hacksaw Group