Generating large amount of data

This question might have already been stated, sorry about that:

I have used mechanisms analogue to ProcessFeeder in CgiResource for
generating some output from a database (actually, much output). Worked
fine except for the fact that the Feeder thread kept running after
disconnecting by pressing Stop in the browser, because nobody was
reading data out of the pipe output stream, so it got filled up by the
Feeder.

To kill such threads I wrote a small monitor that checks whether the
output stream of the corresponding client has changed.

Silly, isn't it? Could anybody point out what the right way is?

Thanks.

--serge