server-side java

S. Alexander Jacobson writes:
 > Various people have suggested alternative environments including
 > fastcgi-java as well as the javasoft jeeves servlets which I
 > forgot to mention in my original mail.
 >
 > I guess this brings up an intersesting point.  There are actually a few
 > separate questions to ask?
 > 1. is there already an httpd-independent or standard in-process
 > server-side java environment?
 > 2. since there appears to be that there is no httpd-independent or
 > standard in-process server-side java environment, is there one we can
 > adapt to provide this function?
 > 3. if each existing model is too loyal (proprietary) to a particular httpd
 > implementation or too difficult to port to all the platforms (including nt
 > and macintosh os's and the netscape and iis webservers) then can we
 > define a standard interface that would
 > 	a. allow code sharing among the various server-side java developers
 > 	around the net analogous to the cgi/perl script sharing?
 > 	b. facilitate writin code which maps our new interface to the
 > 	proprietary java server apis in the way that database vendors
 > 	provide odbc drivers
 >
 > Is anyone interested in such a project?

The only "standard" thing, as o today, is the servlet API, that Jigsaw
will support in next release (it's done, needs a little more testing,
but should be ready by next release). Now, wether this is standard or
not is another issue, I don't know what vendor will support that API,
I know a number of free Java servers will support it though.

Anselm.
BTW: I didn't had time to look into the fastcgi stuff, Iwould really
like to have a FastCGI resource(that does fastcgi within Jigsaw, by
opposition to the cgi fastcgi gateway that was mentioned earlier)