Changing filter attributes?

I am working with storing certain state information on any resource inside
of the Jigsaw URL space.  The model that I am using is as follows. I am
using a resource to try and configure and manipulate the filters on
resources.  The resource looks up the other resources, registers  (if a
filter of this type isn't already there)  a (uninitialized) filter to the
resource. But I cant seem to get to the attributes inside of the filter
after registering the filter because I cant get to the filter attribute
based on the name, and that is how I thought that it worked.

Currently I look up the resource. Use the
w3c.jigsaw.resource.FilteredResource.getFilters(Class, ResourceFilter[])
to get the filters of a certain state holding filter.

Then I try to access the attribute using
w3c.jigsaw.resources.ResourceFilter.setTargetValue(String, Object)

but this doesn't seem to work.
Any ideas?

Anit Chakraborty