Re: Clarification on the indexer

Hi,

Bruce Nelson writes:
>  >
>  > This is where the indexer came in as an issue. I think if we could index
>  > on the fly from our RDBMS instead of the default method according to the
>  > users access, we could bypass the need for cgi (or resource) controlled
>  > indexes and document serving.

I understand that it is recommendable to treat Filesystem resources
in a uniform way, managed i.e. by a Jigsaw Webserver.
I maybe to naive, but a direct alternative to a CGI accessible
RDBMS is JDBC. If you don't rely heavily on HTML for other reasons, let
an JDBC Applet do the work in your browser. This shortcuts HTTP.

Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:

> If this makes sense (BTW to anyone) then the ResourceIndexer interface
> would probably look like:
>
> public interface ResourceIndexer {
>      public Resource createDirectoryResource(File directory
>                                              , String name
>                                              , Hashtable defs);
>
>      public Resource createFileResource(File file
>                                         , String name
>                                         , Hashtable defs);
>
> }
>

> I think I could find the time to make that change, but before going
> further, I want to make sure it will be usefull to anyone. So let me
> know.

This makes the Create Methods to something like Factory Methods,
decoupling the Creation  API from the concrete Creation.
The implementation of the creation process is adaptable to
individual issues.
This I find particularly attractive in an open environment, where
the resource to be built i.e. doesn't come from the local file system,
but from a remote system transferred by something like ORB's.

Christian

--
Christian Seebode <Christian.Seebode@medis.de>                  /\
MedIS - Medizinische Informations- und Steuerungssysteme GmbH  /\/\