Re: Jigsaw bug, security problems

> If anyone with some Win* knowledge can explain how and when Win
> FileSystem is case sensitive or if anyone has any other ideas, let me
> know (BTW www.microsoft.com is case insensitive, I just checked
> it). In the mean time, I would recommend:

The FAT/VFAT file system of Win32 remembers case in filenames,
but open() ignores case.  That is, if you create "MakeFile", then
a directory listing will show "MakeFile", but opening "makefile"
will open that file.  Likewise, creating "makefile" will either
truncate "MakeFile" or cause an error, depending on flags in the
call.

Other file systems (such as NT's native NTFS) can be fully case
sensitive, so presumably that's another workaround to the Jigsaw
problem--make sure you're running on an NTFS partition.  Win95
does not support NTFS directly, but it can network-mount NTFS
file systems.  An NFS-mounted Unix file system may or may not be
case-sensitive depending on your third-part NFS client software.