Re:Jigsaw on Macintosh

<snip>
>> That is, there are 22 different directories specified in the MakeFile. Just
>> click
>> the 'Add All' button to add all of the files in each directory. I added each
>> directory as a different named group, for the sake of learning the
>>library but
>> again this is probably not necessary if your future sanity is not an issue.
>
>I made a small deviation from that. Instead of adding all files, I added
>precompiled jigsaw.zip file that was found in classes subdirectory.  I had
>only two files in my project. One was classes.zip with a weak link and
>another jigsaw.zip with no weak link. ( I don't know what that is, but when
>I tried weak link on both it would not work)

As I understand it, weak linking permits the Java linker to only link classes
that Jigsaw uses. In other words if you don't use weak linking, all of the
classes in classes.zip (which probably contains a lot of unused stuff) would
be included.

Being a Java newbie I'm just not familiar enough at this point to know exactly
what is saved where in the environment and then how the linker treats everything
from that point. I did see the jigsaw.zip file in the classes folder, but
did not
know for sure what it contained, so I elected to just compile the source
from the
ground up, to be safe. At first I thought this may have been why it worked
for me,
but that's not it. I just did what you suggested, and created a new Java project
and added just jigsaw.zip (it already contained classes.zip) and it linked
and ran
just fine, exactly as my compiled version did.

<snip>
>> #5) Finally double-click the 'Jigsaw.out' file to execute and you should see
>> something similar to:
>>
>> Executing: javai -working /Apple%202110/Dev/Jigsaw/Jigsaw -classpath
>> ./Jigsaw.out w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd
>> [httpd]: listening at:http://cc46.ccia.com:9999
>> Completed(0)
>>
>> #6) Copy the URL i.e., http://cc46.ccia.com:9999 or whatever it says on your
>> machine and paste it into your favorite browser and your on your way.
>> Hope this helps out.
>
>I had this too, so it means it worked. However after it I started receiving
>errors. The easiest was about cannot open .jigidx files and a deep stack of
>exceptions. I went with one of the previous mails and tried to rename all
>.jigidx files to Wjigidx files and adding w3c.jigsaw.root.store=Wjigidx
>property   It worked for a bit(2 pages?) and then died. I am not sure if
>that happened because of steps I took in the wrong order or some other
>reason, but I am a bit stuck in here. I will try it again later, maybe I
>will be more lucky if I will rename all of the .jigidx files and setting
>property before the first run.
>
>If anybody was able to make Jigsaw run completely and properly on Mac,
>please write to the list.

While in limited testing the Jigsaw seems to work just fine, I am seeing the
following error, repeated in my errlog and I have not yet tracked down why. It
occurs only after a request and not every time. This is the *only* error I am
seeing however and I did *not* have to change the names of the .jigidx files
and have changed *nothing* in httpd.props or anywhere else for that matter.

<c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
Couldn't parse the request: expecting  (32) got (-1)context:
<c1;client1>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
Couldn't parse the request: expecting  (32) got (-1)context:

Hope something in this helps. sinc, -jeff