Re:Jigsaw on Macintosh

At 2:09 PM on 26/6/96, Jeff Dripps wrote:

<snip>
> Running Jigsaw on the Mac platform.
>
> Here is my experience under Metrowerks CW-9 (I'm sorry I've not had time
>yet to
> build it under MacJDK but I would not think this to be a problem.) Also, there
> are possibly easier ways to do this using ToolServer and the MakeFile
>directly,
> but I did not take the time and instead added all of the necessary source
>files
> to the project manually.
>
> In Metrowerks CW-9:
>
> #1) Create a new Java Project in the root Jigsaw directory.
>
> #2) In the Metrowerks Java Project Preferences specify the project type as
> 'Runable ZIP File'. Specify the file name as 'Jigsaw.out'. Specify the main
> class as 'w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd'. Leave everything else default.
>
> #3) Using the 'Add Files' to project dialog, add all of the files described in
> the MakeFile found in the directory /src/classes/w3c/
>
> That is, there are 22 different directories specified in the MakeFile. Just
> click
> the 'Add All' button to add all of the files in each directory. I added each
> directory as a different named group, for the sake of learning the library but
> again this is probably not necessary if your future sanity is not an issue.

I made a small deviation from that. Instead of adding all files, I added
precompiled jigsaw.zip file that was found in classes subdirectory.  I had
only two files in my project. One was classes.zip with a weak link and
another jigsaw.zip with no weak link. ( I don't know what that is, but when
I tried weak link on both it would not work)

> #4) Next, select 'Make' and go get a cup of coffee. It took a while here! When
> you get back you will have a file named 'Jigsaw.out' in the same directory
> as the
> project. The last and very important step is to move this file into the
> subfolder
> named 'Jigsaw' so it can find the 'config' folder etc.

With my change, make was a matter of several seconds. Of course If I want
to edit anything, I would have to add all the files :-}.

> #5) Finally double-click the 'Jigsaw.out' file to execute and you should see
> something similar to:
>
> Executing: javai -working /Apple%202110/Dev/Jigsaw/Jigsaw -classpath
> ./Jigsaw.out w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd
> [httpd]: listening at:http://cc46.ccia.com:9999
> Completed(0)
>
> #6) Copy the URL i.e., http://cc46.ccia.com:9999 or whatever it says on your
> machine and paste it into your favorite browser and your on your way.
> Hope this helps out.

I had this too, so it means it worked. However after it I started receiving
errors. The easiest was about cannot open .jigidx files and a deep stack of
exceptions. I went with one of the previous mails and tried to rename all
.jigidx files to Wjigidx files and adding w3c.jigsaw.root.store=Wjigidx
property   It worked for a bit(2 pages?) and then died. I am not sure if
that happened because of steps I took in the wrong order or some other
reason, but I am a bit stuck in here. I will try it again later, maybe I
will be more lucky if I will rename all of the .jigidx files and setting
property before the first run.

If anybody was able to make Jigsaw run completely and properly on Mac,
please write to the list.

> Great job Anselm and other folks at w3c. Keep up the good work!! sinc, -jeff
It sure is. I am surprised how Anselm alone managed to pull it off so far.
Must be practice... :-}

Still digging,
     Alex.

alex@access.com.au