Re: Add Users to Jigsaw

Patrick Hunter * wrote:

> I've trying out Jigsaw for a few days now. I'm trying to evaluate it for
> use where I work. The thing I can't get worked out is how to add users
> and how add to html documents to users directory's. I followed the
> advice given in an earlier posting and no offense intended to Anselm,
> but he stopped right at the critical point for me, or I simply didn't
> understand his solution.
>
> 1) I created the directory and it shows up on the existing resources
> list. However, I can't see any sort of directory in the actual root
> directory of the Jigsaw files.
>
> 2) How do I put HTML documents under that user account, or allow a user
> to put their own documents into their account? After they are there, how
> does one go about accessing them?
>
> I apologize for being so dense about this. This is the first time I've
> ever to tried to set up a Web server that wasn't provided by IBM or
> Microsoft. So I'm pretty clueless and need the 'first you do this, next
> you do this' style of help.
>
> Thanks
> Patrick Hunter
> Team OS/2
> O-
> hunterp@cder.fda.gov
> slc1h@cc.usu.edu
> http://cc.usu.edu/~slc1h/os2.html

Patrick,
I should be able to guide you here - I have 4 home page subdirectories
running in our copy of Jigsaw.

First I tried using PASS but got lost trying to get it operational (you
know - the usual this is all so new & different - what the h--- do I do
next)

Next I created 3 sub-directories in x:/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW

(i.e. x:/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/homedir1/(all the files & sub directories)
x:/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/homedir2/(all the files & sub directories)
x:/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/homedir3/(all the files & sub directories)
the fourth dir I used was WWW itself.

I then invoked DirectoryTemplates  (from http://myhost/Admin)
and used AddDirectory to add the three new directories I had created
above.
For identifier just name the first of the new directories (homedir1)
For class use w3c.jigsaw.resources.DirectoryResource
then press ok - if accepted the screen will return with extra field
= Generic
For generic set true (if using sub directories within hoemdir)
clik OK, then select ShadowedAttributes - all I ever set in these fields
was ...

icon: dir.gif
relocate: true (don't know why :-)
extensible: true (again, don't know why :-)
index: index.html (the name of the html doc to be invoked as default
(watch out for case!! - use either all upper or all lower - mixed is
unique!))
negotiable: false (don't know why :-)

After clicking ok - I was able to access the directories
http://targethost/homedir1/

It picked up the index.html

Traps =  don't leave off the trailing '/' on your URL (my prior server
'GoServe from IBM' was a bit more forgiving. Also I had a lot of
problems
with upper & lower case. When I did change case I usually had to close
the server down & restart it to get proper reference. I assume this was
to do with caching

OUR RECORD for unzipping Jigsaw, installing it & getting our first page
up is presently 4.5 minutes  :-)

Our record for undestanding how all the functions work is much worse :-(

But it DOES work under OS/2 and it does so very very well - our est is
that it is running 4 times faster on average than our prior server.

Will still need to conduct indepth tests to prove this but, it sure
seems to be living up to the numbers!.

Cheers  Doug Marker
http://www.internetage.com.au/
http://www.internetage.com.au/quilting/