Re: Attributes do not propogate in depth on Update ?

Anselm Baird-Smith writes:
>Alexandre Rafalovitch writes:
> > The default icon for html files is file.gif. I did not like that and
> > changed it to layout.gif. Also, I have a directory TestDir with 20 or so
> > .html files. Now, I wanted to propogate this change in attribute to all
> > files in  my directory or in whole system even better. So, I go to
> > /Admin/Editor/editor@3/ExistingResources, mark TestDir and go Update. It
> > updates, but no reaction on my directory listing. Ok, I do Reindex. No
> > reaction again. Well, I hoped that reindexing and updating of directories
> > would propogate on files within them... No such luck ?!?
>
>Update is meant to resync information computed from the file system
>which are cached by resources (e.g. it is not used at this time, but
>would be used, for example, to force the recomputation of a file
>signature for example).
>
>Reindex deletes the resource, and recreates a new one by going through
>the resource factory. This is what you want to do, but don't forget to
>select the resources (by checking their check-box) that you want to
>re-index.
>
>This *should* work...

If I understood that correctly, Reindexing the directory would also reindex
all files within it. Then, it would be recursive and I would get new icons
on all files and directories within reindexed directory. Evidently it did
not happen. So is reindexing recursive or not?

I think having a concept of recursive update and recursive re-indexing is
important, because it is too compicated to do it manually.

Alex.

alex@access.com.au