Attributes do not propogate in depth on Update ?

Hi,

The subject line is a bit confusing I guess, but I could not find better
term. I will explain what I want here.

The default icon for html files is file.gif. I did not like that and
changed it to layout.gif. Also, I have a directory TestDir with 20 or so
.html files. Now, I wanted to propogate this change in attribute to all
files in  my directory or in whole system even better. So, I go to
/Admin/Editor/editor@3/ExistingResources, mark TestDir and go Update. It
updates, but no reaction on my directory listing. Ok, I do Reindex. No
reaction again. Well, I hoped that reindexing and updating of directories
would propogate on files within them... No such luck ?!?

So I go into the directory to individual files. Select one of them and go
Update. No reaction. Now, update is supposed to update computed parameters,
right? Evidently, icon is not one of them. But which one is ? I don't know.
So I finally try Reindex on the file and, Presto, I get my new icon on
directory listing.

So, can anybody explain to me why I had to go that deep and if there are
any other shortcuts to do that.

Thanks for your attention,

Alex.

Ps. I set my netscape on 'check every time', so it could not be cache
problem. Checked that after having some frustration at other times.

PPs. If somebody could give me detailed explanation on difference between
Update and Reindex commands, I would be grateful.

--------| I feel as confused as a baby in a topless bar. |--------