RE: Creating a new server handler?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Laird, Brian wrote:

> I haven't had any problems with the servlet filters as of yet.
>
> I can try the ServerInterface but how will the jigsaw startup work?  I
> thought the classes listed in the server.props file had to be of type
> ServerHandler.

The ServerHandlerManager is in charge of starting all the servers (it
reads the server.props, finds the name and the class to start. It should
be possible to start a tomcat engine from there. Also this class is able
(on Unix systems) to start the server at root, and change the
uid/gid/chroot for security reason (hence the "strange" way to do the
startup).

> One other note, I tried to make a resource out of the tomcat embedded
> server and it didn't work at all, mainly, because I could not get the
> tomcat instance to decide it like my requests.

Ah if there is a need to translate request object, it may also have a
cost, but it's probably doable, with tricks if the streams are not the
same (you can take a look at the servlet wrapper to see how fun it was to
mix input and output streams :) ).

> I may try Jetty to see if that interface is any easier to use.  From
> what I have read so far, tomcat wasn't meant to be embedded in this way
> but boy it would nice if we could pull it off.

Be it Jetty or Tomcat, any "better" implementation of the servlet stuff is
welcomed :)
Thanks,

--
Yves Lafon - W3C