W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-jigsaw@w3.org > May to June 2005

Re: Bug report, com.w3c.util.DateParser

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:47:59 +0200 (MEST)
To: Brian <ic547@yahoo.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org, jigsaw@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.4.63.0505181147160.28016@gnenaghyn.vaevn.se>
On Tue, 17 May 2005, Brian wrote:

>
> I tried to send a message to the author of the DateParser class
> regarding a possible bug, but I received a delivery failure.  So, I am
> hoping this is the correct place to submit the report.  Please see
> below...

Brian,
This error, and a fix were reported not so long ago and incorporated in 
the CVS tree (it should be version 1.5 now).
Thanks,

>
> ==============
>
> A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:
>
>  bmahe@sophia.inria.fr
>    (generated from bmahe@w3.org)
>    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<bmahe@sophia.inria.fr>:
>    host sophia.inria.fr [138.96.64.20]: 550 5.7.0
> <bmahe@sophia.inria.fr>... No such user here
>
>
> ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:01:09 -0700
> To: bmahe@w3.org
> From: Brian <ic547@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Bug report, com.w3c.util.DateParser
>
>
> Greetings.
> I am using your DateParser class revision 1.4 from
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/util/.
> Thank you very much for the work.  It is very helpful.
>
> In my usage, I believe I may have found a malfunction, but perhaps I am
> misunderstanding something.
>
> Here is an example of what I have found...
>
> I am parsing this date string using DateParser.parse(String):
>    2005-05-17T15:28:11-07:00
>
> The returned date appears to be incorrect in the time zone field...
>
> The result of calling toGMTString() on the return value is:
>    17 May 2005 08:28:11 GMT
> The result of calling toLocaleString() on the return value in the
> (-07:00 time zone) is:
>    May 17, 2005 1:28:11 AM
>
> I noticed that the result was off from what I expected by exactly twice
> the time zone value and suspected that the problem could be in the math
> of the time zone adjustments.
>
> Lines 146 - 152 of the source code are:
> 146  if (plus) {
> 147      calendar.add(Calendar.HOUR, tzhour);
> 148      calendar.add(Calendar.MINUTE, tzmin);
> 149  } else {
> 150      calendar.add(Calendar.HOUR, -tzhour);
> 151      calendar.add(Calendar.MINUTE, -tzmin);
> 152  }
>
> I changed line 146 to:
> 146  if (!plus) {
>
> This has fixed my problem and the dates now appear to be coming out
> correctly.
>
> The result of calling toGMTString() on the return value is now:
>    17 May 2005 22:28:11 GMT
> The result of calling toLocaleString() on the return value in the
> (-07:00 time zone) is now:
>    May 17, 2005 3:28:11 PM
>
> I thought I would report this in case it is a bug in the code.  If not,
> and if I am misunderstanding the usage, please advise me of my mistake.
>
> Thank you,
> Brian
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail Mobile
> Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
> http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
>
>

-- 
Yves Lafon - W3C
"Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras."
Received on Wednesday, 18 May 2005 15:23:55 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 9 April 2012 12:13:37 GMT