Re: compressed file

In Linux you get a 'tar' utility.  It stands for "Tape ARchive" even if no
one uses tape anymore.  You also have 'gzip' which is the GNU zip utility.
Most Linux tars today seem to be able to handle gzip with a -z option.
Check the man file for tar first.  Generally to unpack a .tar.gz file I say
"tar -xvzf <file>.tar.gz".

Bill Patterson