Re: Shutting down Jigsaw server without JigAdmin

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:37:02 +0100 (MET)
To: Wayne Johnson <wjohnson@mqsoftware.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Wayne Johnson wrote:

> We are using a somewhat stripped down version of Jigsaw that does not
> run the jigadmin (8009) port for security and other reasons.  This
> server runs in a JNI environment.  We need to shutdown the Jigsaw Server
> before shutting down the JVM, but without a JigAdmin, we can't use
> JigKill.

> I propose to write a very stripped down Jigsaw server that:
> 1) in the initialization method, saves the reference to the shm in a class global,
> 2) modify server.props to start our service,
> 3) has a public static method that takes this shm reference and calls its shutdown method,
> 4) Modify our JNI code to call this public static method at shutdown.

jdk1.3 an onward has the possibility to catch some signals, using the
shutdown hook [1]. If your JNI code is able to send such signal to the jvm
process, then Jigsaw will save its configuration and exit.
Is it enough for your need?
Regards,

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#addShutdownHook(java.lang.Thread)

--