HTTP 1.1 problem again

From: John Hughes <john.hughes@entegrity.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Cc: "John Hughes" <john.hughes@entegrity.com>
We are working on a project which requires communication with a Netscape Web
Server (version 4.1 service pack 9).  To simulate the browser we are using
the w3c classes.

Most communication with it works - but as reported sometime ago on this list
the Netscape web server sends out HTTP/1.1 responses that are neither
chunked nor content-length encoded.

Using the debugger I can see that the InputStream returned from
reply.getInputStream() has the data (in the buf byte array) however - there
seems to be no way for me to access it as the read point seems to have
passed the end of the data.

Two questions:

- have Netscape a patch/fix to this

- is there another way around this problem

Answers desperately sought .....

John