Re: Client Side API - HTTP Connections

From: Corey Wineman <cwineman@perseus.anserwv.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:17:45 -0500
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Sort of. I had already been using URLConnection and HttpURLConnection for my
Http Client code. I just needed something a little lower level, which is why
I tried Jigsaw.
The main problem with URLConnection and HttpURLConnection are that
connections sometimes take a really long time to fail, sometime over 2
minutes, I think. This is really a problem with the Sockets constructor.
Another big problem was that a call to close() on the InputStream from
HttpURLConnection would sometimes refuse to work. I would call close() and
the program would block forever. I got around the problem by setting
timeouts around the code for opening and closing connections. Its not very
elegant, but it stumbles along.
I hope that either the Jigsaw Http client code is fixed in a later version
or to find the problem myself. I like the API, but the problems with losing
connections is a pain.

Does anyone know of a stand alone Http Client API that is similar to the one
in Jigsaw?

-Corey