Re: Problem streaming HTML from a servlet [jigsaw 2.1.2]

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Greg Kopff wrote:

> G'day.
>
> I'm currently writing a servlet to tail a file (essentially a tail -f).
> The servlet needs to read the file, flush that content to the output
> stream, then wait for more data to appear in the file, read it, flush it etc.

[..]
> I'm using Jisaw 2.1.2.  In all the browsers I can find (Win98 Netscape 6,
> Win98 MS Exploder, Linux Netscape 6, Konqueror, even telnetting to port
> 8001) the content is not output to the client following a flush(), and only
> appears after the close() call is made.
>
> Is this a bug?  Or is the servlet output filtered by Jigsaw (and so not
> flushed by the filter until the close() occurs)?  Is there a work around?

It was a bug, please check the latest version
(http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.1/20001110/ currently) or the one
from CVS (even fresher, see http://dev.w3.org/)
It now should work as intended, and you can reuse Jigsaw's filter to
modify the stream (to do compression on the fly, for example).

Yves Lafon - W3C / Jigsaw - XML Protocol - HTTP