Re: About the st-* files.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, CHEN Ge wrote:

> Dear Jigsaw authors,
> I am now studying Jigsaw's source code trying to understand how it works,
> but one thing confused me a lot is
> what the stores are?

The stores are used to cache the configuration of the resources
(attributes, frames and such).
> what does the files in the /config/stores do?
> When I do some benchmark(some stress test) agaist jigsaw,
> echo time Jigsaw will creat almost a thousand st-* files in that directory,
> what do these files present? The cache? And what kind of cache?
> Does Jigsaw have any file-content caching when it is running?

New stores are created as new resources are created (by the indexers),
however, if everything is indexed then nothing new should be created. Note
that recently a bug has been found (and smashed) that was modifying the
FileResource everytime the server was started.
A small exemple on the use of this cache is shown
at: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-jigsaw/2000MarApr/0008.html

Also, resources can be added to provide a file-content cache, but this
should be taken care of at the OS level rather than at this level, but if
it helps, it can be done.