beginner:php scripts,header attached to output Why?

From: Hariharan Jayaram <hari@tiger.3dem.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi I am a beginner to Jigsaw server and php.
I got php and Jigsaw configured to work together to create a new
extension.
Using instructions I found at http://www.circle.ch
However the php script although it works well and produces output, the
server always attaches the header to the output.
Hence I have my php file as

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Hello Date program</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
TODAYS DATE: <? print(Date("1 F d, Y")); ?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

AND when I say
http://localhost:8001/hello.php3
I get the following output

Why is the content/typw header automatically attached to my output. How
can I prevent this
ANy help will be greatly appreciated