Re: servlet.jar (aka jsdk.jar) in CLASSPATH?

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Hartmut Benz (EMN) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the setup instructions for servlets say I have to download and put
> jsdk.jar into the CLASSPATH. I seem to understand from the archive
> that this file is now called servlet.jar (maybe the docu could be
> updated to make that a bit clearer?). But servlet.jar *is* already in
> the classpath after installation (e.g. in
> c:\jigsaw\classes\servlet.jar). Is that one to be replaced or do I
> have to put both? I can't get a new servlet running in either jigsaw
> 2.0.4 or 2.1.1 (when I put it in the servlets directory the indexer(s)
> put an HTTPFrame around it).

Well, the documentation was there also for old version of Jigsaw that were
not bundled with the servlet jar (because of copyrights at that time). Of
course, the jar provided are the right one and there is no need to
downgrade the jar (however, if you want to use servlet 2.2 for Jigsaw
2.0.4 using the devel jar, you will have to upgrade to servlet 2.2).

> Is it possible to use JDK 1.3 already?
yes, and Jigsaw 2.1 should use a special wrapper to catch exits and save
the server state (not tested yet, as I don't have a recent jdk1.3
available for solaris).