Re: Setting index page to servlet

From: Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:05:33 -0800
To: Benoit Mahe <Benoit.Mahe@sophia.inria.fr>
CC: jigsaw <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Benoit Mahe wrote:

> Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>
> > Next I added a Default resource under Root as a FramedResource, then added a
> > ServletMapperFrame to that, specifying the servlet-url as
> > /servlet/DefaultServlet. This works fine for both web browser and phone browser
> > clients - unfortunately, after I save the configuration, stop the servers from
> > JigAdmin, and then restart, the HTTPFrame under Root is changed back to
> > Overview.html. I'd like to be able to have this configuration restore properly
> > without having to go in and set it with JigAdmin every time I restart the
> > server.
>
> It's not a good thing to modify the root resource, you should create a new resource
> (FramedResource associated to a ServeltMapperFrame) and declare it as the new root
> resource (in general properties).

When I attempt this, changing the root name to the Default resource I'd created
earlier, it gives me the default document but apparently makes everything else
inaccessible. Isn't there any way to just change the default document for the
root directory?

I thought from the FAQ entry on "How do I set the default document?" that the
approach of just changing the index property in the HTTPFrame under Root to
reference my Default resource would do it (this is the approach I'm talking
about in the first paragraph above, which works only until the server is
restarted). If this approach doesn't work for the Root directory perhaps the FAQ
should be qualified.

  - Dennis