504 error from proxy

From: Niklas Wiberg <e95_nwi@it.kth.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:00:49 +0100
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi

I use Jigsaw 2.0.4 as a proxy and it returns a 504 error when a client
requests the URL:
http://www.vcworld.com/viqtips/viqtips.dll?view?chat=se&days=3&level=0.phtml
It works fine when requesting it directly (no proxy) from the client.

I snooped the traffic and I suspect that Jigsaw is closing the
connection before the server has delivered all the content. It seems as
if the server delivers the response header, but is interrupted by the
closing of the connection.
The web server responds fine, delivering the content when I telnet and
make the request using the exact same headers sent out by the Jigsaw
client API.
If I understand correctly, the 504 should indicate a timeout, but here
it's returned almost immediately...
If anyone's interested, the Ethereal libpcap dump is at:
http://turtle.iquity.com/public/jigsaw_vcw.libpcap
The dump is the Jigsaw<-->web_server result of one single request from a
netscape 4.72 browser to Jigsaw.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here?
If so, is it Jigsaw that is causing the failure or is it just reporting
it erroneously (or both :)?

Best regards
Niklas Wiberg