charset for

From: Artyem V. Shkondin <art@v-real.spb.su>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:27:30 +0300
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Hi all!
Did anybody know how to change default charset ISO-8859-1 to another?
For HttpServletResponse I can change it by method setContentType().
But there is not similar method for HttpServletRequest. As I believe charset
may be changed by useragent if I put <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=Windows-1251"> in the html file.
When I call method getCharacterEncoding() of class HttpServletRequest
it always return ISO-8859-1. When I use JavaServer Web Development Kit (JSWDK)
1.0.1 it always return null.
Is there an error or there is same way to change charset?

    Sincerely Yours,
Artyem V. Shkondin