Re: Jigsaw in general - why not?

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:20:15 +0100 (MET)
To: Peter Schuller <scode@scode.webprovider.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Peter Schuller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been wondering; why do all reviewers of Jigsaw seem to say "Hey, it's
> great, but nothing I'd use!"? Everyone seems to agree that Jigsaw is very
> advanced and "on the edge" in terms of features, but reviewers tend to say
> it's nothing for big-time use.

Well, some reviews stated wrong things, like lack of support for virtual
hosts and other things.

> Why? Is there something I'm not aware of? Isn't Jigsaw secure? Isn't it
> stable? What?

jigsaw.w3.org is running Jigsaw, and the latest downtime was when someone
replace one lib that the jvm was using, causing it to coredump... It
handles 20/30khits day with some servlets, CGI and even experimental stuff
on a poor old sparc20, without any problem.
Just to say that we are pretty confident in its stability, and no security
problems have ever been reported.

> So what am I missing? Is it just ignorance on the part of the reviewers, or
> am I the one who's ignorant?

I hope more people can give you feedback, as I am not in the best position
to say that it works ;)