Re: Jigsaw and SSL

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 01:52:19PM +0200, Ingmar Krusch wrote:
> > Yes, the W3C distributiuon does not include a SSL module.
>
> This is really too bad, our customer trusts the W3, but dislikes 3rd
> party developers in this regard.

  The problem is purely legal. W3C is hosted partly in the USA where
exporting cryptographic software (or software with cryptographic hooks)
is forbidden. All out FTP servers are mirrors of each-other and some
of them are in the USA.
  In that specific case relying on a third party to provide and
distribute cryptographic extensions to W3C software is simpler.
You will note that this scheme is adopted for most free software
distributed from the USA.
  Since the Jigsaw team is actually based in France it could be
possible to have a separate distribution locally not mirrored in
the USA and containing the crypto code, but such a process would
put more burden on the developper team,

   yours,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux, WWW, rpmfind,