java.lang.String Exception for PassDirectory Resource

From: Jason Schuchert <jason@breakthr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:20:34 -0500
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
I'm using jigsaw 2.1 on NT4 with sun jdk1.2.1 and am trying to get jigsaw to
serve files from directories outside the jigsaw root directory structure
(<install-dir>/jigsaw/WWW).

I can add a org.w3c.jigsaw.resources.PassDirectory resource but when I set
the pass-target (either with an absolute or relative-to-WWW path I get a
RemoteAccessException dialog box popping up with "exception
java.lang.String" message.

The stack trace is:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
	at
org.w3c.tools.resources.FileAttribute.pickle(FileAttribute.java:33)
	at
org.w3c.tools.resources.serialization.xml.XMLDescrWriter.writeAttributeDescr
iption(XMLDescrWriter.java:97)
	at
org.w3c.tools.resources.serialization.xml.XMLDescrWriter.writeResourceDescri
ption(XMLDescrWriter.java:155)
	at
org.w3c.tools.resources.serialization.xml.XMLSerializer.writeResourceDescrip
tions(XMLSerializer.java:43)
	at
org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.AdminWriter.writeResourceDescription(AdminWriter.java:5
8)
	at
org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.PlainRemoteResource.setValues(PlainRemoteResource.java:
272)
	at
org.w3c.jigadmin.editors.AttributesHelper.commitChanges(AttributesHelper.jav
a:152)
	at
org.w3c.jigadmin.editors.AttributesHelper$2.run(AttributesHelper.java:60)

I haven't explored much beyond this and will do that next but I wondered if
there was a simple explanation and workaround.

Thanks!

-jason

(BTW, I just installed jigsaw today and I was able to drop some servlets
I've been using in jrun into the servlets directory, modify the classpath
for jigsaw to be like my jrun setup, pass some -D property definitions on
the command line for invoking jigsaw, and everything including JDBC access
just worked!  sweet)