Web Broswer connection

From: peter maciver - Development - Glasgow <peter.maciver@gtnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:52:43 GMT
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Hi,

I am running the following:

 Solaris 2.7
 JDK 1.2
 Jigsaw 2.1.0
 my cpu host is "lewis"

When I execute jigsaw, using the command line below:

lewis% java org.w3c.jigsaw.Main -root $JIGSAW/Jigsaw -trace

Jigsaw[2.1.0]: serving at http://lewis:8001/
*** salvaging resource manager state...
*** resource store state salvaged, using: 1
*** Warning : JigAdmin[2.1.0]: no logger specified, not logging.
JigAdmin[2.1.0]: serving at http://lewis:8009/

1/
why do I get the salvaging ?

2/
I can run jigadmin, and view the /Docs directory, etc.
So I can get a connection to jigsaw, via jigadmin.

However, I am unable to connect to my server, through my Netscape browser.
When I attempt to connect to jigsaw, via Netscape,
I get a connection timed out error:
"While trying to retrieve the URL: http://lewis:8001/Doc/Overview.html"
The URL above, is obtained from a document's URL from the jigadmin tool.
Is there something I can do to see why jigsaw is not accepting a connection
request from my browser ?

It makes no difference, if I replace the host name with its IP address, or not.

regards

peter maciver