Re: Using Jigsaw in a production environment

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:04:58 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Buchs Christian <cbu@elca.ch>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Buchs Christian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Jigsaw for a while now. Among others, I have
> developped an authentification filter, but a big question arises:
>
> Is it possible to use Jigsaw in a production environment with
> the current JigAdmin? By production environment, I mean that
> Jigsaw acts as a online reliable server that serves 24h/24h
> let's say 100 users and that changes (like adding a user in a
> realm) can be made without having to stop the service.

Hum, what you desribe is strange, I usually add users in a realm and it
works straight. without having to restart the server. I will try to see if
something in the code may prevent that.
For the record, there is a new API to do access control, based on acl, see
http://dev.w3.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/jigsaw/acl/

> In fact, I don't think it's possible now to use Jigsaw in a
> production environment. For a simple reason: certain changes
> (like adding a user in a realm) do not take place if you don't
> stop JigAdmin and Jigsaw and then restart Jigsaw.
>
> So I'm wondering if something will be undertaken to change that.
> I would be very disappointed not being able to use Jigsaw and what
> I have done up to now just because of this problem.

jigsaw.w3.org is used as a production server and parts of it are protected
using authentication, we never had to stop the server to add a new user.

> Thanks for your suggestions/help,
Maybe your authentication filter is doing extra caching that prevents the
add of a new entry.
Can you give me more info about this? ie: what was the classes involved
and such.