URL Rewriting/Servlet Question...

From: Adam Hill <ahill@users.arco.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 19:08:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Is there a way, on the Jigsaw side to do URL redirection behind the scenes,
based on if a file is there or not? Or serve the file *AS IF* it was where
the client thought it was (Like the File Servlet), even though it is
somewhere else.

Here is the scenario:

I am working on a piece of software that serves up web pages to a user.

The user could be:

1) Accessing his content locally off of his computer.(running Jigsaw on his
workstation) In which case all of the data I wish is on the local filesystem
(HD, CD, DVD). Everything is fine.

2) Accessing the content over the Internet off of a server and have a set of
CD's for the big media (audio and video). So by virtue of the file not being
there, redirect to the local media for a given file.

I do not want to have to re-author the content or do some elaborate, text
search and replace on my HTML before I build CD's and mail them out.

Am I goofy? Do I need to bite the bullet and re-write paths on the client
side dynamically? (BTW it will *always* be IE5) Any ideas appreciated.

thanks,
adam hill...