servlet writing to database memory(?) problem

From: Fiona Cameron <f.cameron@ulst.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 05:27:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

I have a servlet running on Jigsaw that collects data and writes it
to an MS Access database on the same system, using JDBC. The data is
about 100 records.

For the first 4 or 5 runs of the program performance is ok - a couple
of  seconds to write all the records.  However, after this the
program slows right down and can take around 10 minutes to perform
the same function.

No particular data or sequence of data appears to be associated with
the problem.   If I stop Jigsaw and start it again, the problem
clears for a while, then recurs.  Jigsaw is not giving me any error
messages.

My servlet opens the database connection at the beginning and closes
it at the end, but could it be that Jigsaw is holding on to old
connections to the database and thus causing a memory problem?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I'd be very grateful for any ideas.

Fiona

Fiona Cameron
Computing Officer, Faculty of Informatics, University of Ulster
email: f.cameron@ulst.ac.uk  phone:  01232-366677