Re: SSI and Servlets

From: Benoit Mahe <Benoit.Mahe@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 17:06:16 +0200
"Burrell, David (Automation)" wrote:

> So servlet is loaded into memory once, correct me if I'm wrong, each tag is
> like calling a function and would destroy the results of a database query.
> What I'm trying to do is insert information from a database.  I know I could
> use SSI to create a JBDC query and insert the data that way but I will be
> returning data from multiple sources.
> Is there a way to pass the requested document through the servlet and let
> the servlet insert data?

You mean yout want to parse your document yourself and add some text in it?
Well, you can perform some kind of redirection to your servlet, you can use
ServletMapperFrame (like we do with jsp) [1]. The request on your document
will be redirected to your servlet, and you can get the location of the document
with request.getPathInfo().

[1] http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/FAQ.html#jsp

Regards, Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium   (W3C)