W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-jigsaw@w3.org > July to August 1999

Re: SSInclude/caching problem

From: Augusto Sellhorn <asellhor@ccd.harris.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:46:25 -0400 (EDT)
Message-ID: <378FC4B0.FE176170@ccd.harris.com>
To: Henrik Kniberg <henrik@kniberg.com>
CC: www-jigsaw@w3.org
I have the same problem.

The issue here is that your browser is checking for the document date,
to which Jigsaw is happily responding with the .shtml file date :(

If you add this to your document ...

<head>
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
</head>

Netscape will behave nice and not cache the page. IE (5.0/4.0) ignores
those META tags so there'll be different results.

BTW don't waste time trying to put all the other "expiration" tags,
they won't work. The only thing IE cares about is the date returned
by the server. I tried everything, with no luck. Funny, if you go to 
deja.news and search for SSI cache IE you'll find lots of hits.

One solution I tried was using JavaScript to put random numbers in
my links so <A HREF="http://www.abc.com/index.shtml"> becomes
<A HREF="http://www.abc.com/index.shtml?2323234"> and the page 
refreshes. This won't help you if users hit the "reload" button.
Bummer.

In desperation, I tried the SSI package fom java.apache.org. They 
have a directive (don't remember) that is supposed to help you
with this issue. I tried it, but I can't get Jigsaw to map .shtml
to that SSI servlet.

Hey, guys ! How about giving us a nice little directive or option
to solve this issue ! 

Thanks

Augusto

Henrik Kniberg wrote:
> 
> I'm having trouble with .shtml-pages being cached in the browser instead
> of being reloaded from the server (the page is supposed to be
> dynamically generated, after all).
> 
> Take a look at this URL:
> 
> http://server.milliweb.com/temp/date.shtml
> 
> It displays the date, which in turn is fetched through an SSInclude
> tag.  Now press reload - is the date updated?  Not for me.  Try
> restarting your whole browser and checking again - still the same date
> (for me at least).  The only way to escape your cached version is to
> press shift-reload (in Netscape) or ctrl-reload (in Internet Explorer).
> 
> However if you browse to the servlet directly everything works fine:
> 
> http://server.milliweb.com/servlet/DateServlet
> 
> Is this an SSInclude bug or is it merely a configuration issue?  I set
> to HTTPFrame.maxage to 0 for both the servlet wrapper and the SHTML
> document but that didn't seem to help.
> 
> Here is the HTML source:
> 
> -------
> <html><body>
> 
> <h1> Jigsaw SSInclude caching problem</h1>
> 
> Current date (fetched via SSInclude tag):
> <!--#servlet name="date" code="/servlet/DateServlet" -->
> 
> </body></html>
> -------
> 
> /Henrik
> 
> --
> Henrik Kniberg    Netbreeze Computing, Stockholm
>                   WWW:    http://www.kniberg.com/henrik/
>                   email:  henrik@kniberg.com
>                   tel:    +46 8 560 24788
>                   mobile: +46 70 492 5284
Received on Friday, 16 July 1999 19:52:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 9 April 2012 12:13:29 GMT