Re: NEWBIE: Problems and Questions

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Michael Crowl wrote:

> Howdy!  First, thanks to W3C, etc. for developing this puppy.  I love
> it.  Well, I love it as much as I can right now.  :o)
:)

> 1)	About 60% of the time, stopping or saving the server from JigAdmin
> hangs JigAdmin entirely.  Attemping to use JigKill after terminating the
> hung JigAdmin also results in JigKill sitting there but not hanging,
> waiting for a timeout that never comes, apparently.  I have to terminate
> everything and start again.

The "timeout" is normal, in fact it is not a timeout, but the loading
delay of the other stores, so you may have to wait a little, then you will
see "server saved" "servers killed" if you are using JigKill.
There may be some dangling connections around, depending on what
processing they do, but after the admin interface or jigkill returns, it
is safe to kill the server directly.

> 2)	Even though I've changed browseable to false and the indexers'
> /default/directories/*default*/http-frame/ index file to index.html, it
> still does not hunt to the index.html, it just gives me a browseable
> list of files.  Does this only affect the root?  And am I correct in
> assuming you can change the index file per directory as well?  I've
> tried changing that too, but to no avail.

Well, "browsable" doesn't mean browseable :) but "can handle BROWSE
method" which is a gift for old navipress editor. If you want to have the
server seraching for "index.html", you should set the "index" attribute of
the HTTPFrame to "index.html", or *forbid* to avoid that ;) or to whatever
you want the index file to be. Also it can (of course) be set up container
by container. Indexers are just a convenient way to automatically create
resoures and frames with a proper configuration.

> 3)	I am also having the same trouble others had (in list archives) with
> image files timing out.  Docs get served up just fine, but images make
> the browser (NN 4.6) wait for connections to close.  When I hit Stop on
> the browser, some of the images appear and seem to be loaded, but others
> not at all.  I tried switching KeepAlive off, but no change.  None of
> the answers in the archive were very helpful, I'm afraid.

Some browsers have problems with content negotiation, if you change links
so that "foo" points to "foo.gif" in the HTML files, it will be ok, as it
will bypass the negotiatied resources.

> 4)	Is there a faster way to run Java in Win95 besides the
> /jdk1.2.1/bin/java.exe?

No exhaustive tests on win* but according to volano mark test
(http://www.volano.com/report.html, IBM's jdk is a good choice for
multi-threaded servers, like Jigsaw.

> I would love to get this working so I could actually do some dev on this
> machine, but I'm spending most of my time wandering around in JigAdmin
> and the documentation trying to figure out what's going on.  :o]

I know, documentation needs improvement... Anyone wants to help? :)