Jigsaw and cloning!

From: Wolfgang Platzer <wplatzer@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:35:13 +0100
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>

I wonder if the cloning bugs I already reported for several times are fixed
in the new upcomming Jigsaw version.

The problem is, that useing clones like:

http-server-cloned.org.w3c.jigsaw.daemon.clones=http-server

does not work correctly.

For example there are a lot of bugs in the cleanup method!

If one uses shutdown to exit one server this server also shuts down the
Logger and the ResourceStoreManager. And as you can imagine this is very bad
for the clone which remains running.

Another problem is that there are a lot of methods declared private in
httpd. But for my SSL enabled version of Jigsaw I need to extend the class
httpd and I have to overwrite a lot of methods. And this is not possible so
I always have to change the httpd source. In my opinion it should be
possible to extend an object oriented server without changing the source.

I attached my modified httpd.java of Jigsaw 2.0beta3. Every line marked with
// @wplatzer has been changed. Maybe it is possible to move some changes to
the Jigsaw distribution.

Regards

Wolfgang Platzer